Sunday 30 October 2011

Research: Portraits - Michael Robert Williams


I like Michael Williams photographs because of all the different angles he uses to take the photographs instead of using the typical angle of straight on head and shoulders. I think this makes images very interesting for example this image:
 Out of all Michael's images this one is my favourite because although the model's whole body is in the image Michael has chosen to focus only on the top half of her body, her face with a soft light shining there leaving the rest of her body in the dark. I think Michael's intention was that maybe because that is the normal shot for a portrait photograph.
I also like the way she is positioned its different from the rest of them and there is also a lot of space around her body maybe to suggest she's lonely. Also her body takes the position and direction of the staircase which is a really nice effect because it makes you wonder if she was placed like that on purpose.In my personal opinion what makes all his photographs good is because they all have different layouts and its intriguing, like this image for example 
 I like the angle that the photograph has been taken and the contrast of backgrounds behind the subject. It looks like he's going to run a race or something and with the sun behind his hand its like he has the power to do whatever he wants.
Another thing I like about Michael William's images is he uses real settings for example 
I like how the subjects look like they are working but i also like how apart from the picture of Marilyn Monroe the focus is on the two subjects. I also like how the image leads the eye from the bottom left hand corner to the subjects off centre.

I really like the background in this image but I think it takes the focus off the subject.
This photograph looks great because of the depth of field. When I look at this image I am drawn to the blurriness at the bottom of the image and then I follow it up to the subject. Also the tree's and buildings in the background create a line pointing to the subject so whichever part of the photograph you look at the lines draw you to the subject.

I also like how apart from  a wide shot he also does close ups like these:
 In this image i find it interesting how the subject is looking away from the camera almost wanting the viewers to look over there to see what he's looking at.
In this image i like how the subject is using direct eye contact with the camera signifying that he is confident and has power.


I think that Michael Williams photographs are very appealing and they look great because of the wide variety he has done. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment