Tuesday 31 January 2012

Books

 Richard Billingham - Landscapes 2001-2003.

I have been looking at this book and the layout of it for ideas. I liked this book because the pages had different lay outs which interested me and encouraged me to carry on looking at the rest of his pictures. Richard Billingham's book was in landscape format because his photographs were on landscapes and having the book in a portrait format wouldn't be suitable. What i liked most about his book is that its big and heavy so anyone that wanted to look through it they would have to sit down and properly look at it which is great because its not a flick through book.


For my book project i would like to have the theme of "faces" because wherever I go i see not detailed real faces but emoticon faces like these for example:


Here are some examples of what i mean:





I had to resize my images in photoshop to 5x7 and i wanted to add a border to them to make the photographs look better. But i couldn't decide on a colour. I tried different coloured borders so it would look fun and moving the image in different places for a different layout to engage my readers like Richard Billingham did like this:


But after a while I thought it was a bit weird so I asked Tom for his opinion whether they looked good and he said to stick to black and white borders. 
So then I made two folders with the same images but with a black border and then with a white border. 


I thought black was the better border so i printed them. When I printed my images they had come out 6x8 because they had a white border around them which I thought was good because it had a black and white border. 
Here is the order:
















I used the front cover as the paper we made with Tim. When we made our paper with Tim we ripped up pieces of news paper to make around 4 bags full. Then we went down to the basement and shredded our paper with water in a blender till it turned to mush. We had to add paint to the newspaper mush before blending so then when it was shredded we could lay it out onto a tray and flatten it to get the paper shape. We then used a tea towel to place on top and with a sponge we soaked out the excess water. Then I added different coloured inks to my paper by flicking them on by the lid and making stars by tapping it on the paper. We then left the paper to dry for a few days and were given it to put onto our books for the book fair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment